If you’re planning your dream wedding in Capitol City, you definitely don’t want to miss these five must-see wedding planning tips for Washington DC!
1. Make a weekend of it so that your out-of-town guests can really experience the best that the city has to offer.
The best way to do that?
- Have your rehearsal dinner at one of your favorite locally owned restaurants. If the way to someone’s heart is through their stomach, nothing will say “Thanks for celebrating with us!” like showing your loved ones DC’s tastiest spots!
- The city is a thriving tourist destination, so cut through the overwhelm for your guests and put together your must-see list of activities while they’re in town.
- A send-off brunch at your favorite diner is a crowd pleaser – plus it gives you a few more hours to emergency pack all of those odds and ends for your honeymoon!
2. On your wedding website, include the distance from the airport to your suggested hotel(s).
This is especially helpful if you have a room block at a hotel near your venue! You can calculate the anticipated time and distance through Google Maps or by using an easy distance calculator like this one.
3. Hire a party bus so that no one has to worry about parking!
I know what you’re thinking… but this is way cooler than a 90’s prom limo. Turn up the music, sip on your signature cocktail, and live up that extra time chillin’ with your best friends. Let someone else worry about the logistics! Photos “in transit” like this are sure to be your best friend’s phone background for months.
4. Incorporate the things you love most about DC into the details of your day! Consider these ideas ⤵️
- Treat your guests to Georgetown Cupcakes
- Incorporate voting ballots as a fun activity for your guests during cocktail hour
- Create a Metro inspired seating chart
- Using monuments or an outline of the skyline on your invitations
- Decorate your cake with sugar cherry blossoms
- Make as many “State of the Union” jokes about your union as possible 😉
5. Keep the day focused on you two!
Showing off your city invites your loved one in to learn more about how you spend your time together, but they are flying in to spend time with you, not just thinking of you as they tour a monument! Incorporating DC into your big day is a fun way to illustrate your love story to your loved ones … but don’t let yourself get carried down a Pinterest rabbit hole trying to make the perfect themed event if that doesn’t feel genuine to the two of you.
Looking for more must-see Washington DC wedding planning tips? Click here to see more!